Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 158

"We finally meet, Agent Cherkov", the Commandant said to the man in his office at 0430.

"At last, Commandant Henchly", Cherkov said. "What is the business you have with my employers?"

"I need their Intel on they have on the Utopians. I have some of the best Recon teams in the world working on it, but your Russians are a lot better for some reason. What will it take to convince your employers to hand over that information?"

"Be thankful, Commandant, that I am more mercenary than spy or I would be insulted. Most of my agency is more mercenary than spy. I will have to talk to my superiors and see what price they will charge, but I am quite sure that it won't be very cheap."

"I didn't expect it would be. Would you like to use my phone, Agent Cherkov?"

Cherkov picked up the receiver and dialed the number. "You do realize, Commandant, that this is international call."

"I do, Agent Cherkov. Just get me the price, and I'll do what I have to get them their payment."

Cherkov nodded, then started speaking in Russian to the person on the other end of the line. There was a lot of "da" and "nient", but finally Cherkov hung up the phone. "I have your price, and you're not going to like it, Commandant."

"What is it?"

"Disturbed in Moscow."

--------------

"Hey, Dad", Malachai said to David one afternoon.

"What's up, son?"

"When am I going to get to go onstage with you again?"

David smiled. "I don't know, son. We haven't scheduled another rally for anytime soon."

"Well, when is the next Family Jam Night?"

"I'm not sure, son. You'll have to talk to Uncle Danny about that one."

"Well, when we have the next one, can I sing 'Asylum' with you?"

David rubbed to the goatee under his lip. "Let me think about it, ok? That's the best answer I can give you right now."

Malachai nodded and gave David a hug. "I love you, Dad."

David smiled. "I love you too, son."

--------------

"Is it normal for me to still be amazed at the fact that Malachai thinks of my as his father?" David asked Brie that night.

She fluffed the pillows as she spoke. "I couldn't tell you, honey, but if that's how you feel, then who's to tell you that feeling is wrong?"

"I'd always amazed and flattered that he calls me, 'Dad'. Have been since the day we picked him up from your parent's house when he asked me if he could call me 'Dad'."

"Then, I guess it's not odd for you to still be amazed by it then. I don't know, honey. I'm not a psychiatrist. I'm a massage therapist. I know about muscles and how to get them to relax. I know how to stretch out muscles and correct posture using those stretches. I know nothing psychosis and MO's or anything like that." She laughed and climbed under the covers.

He slid into bed next to her and pulled her against him. "At least your honest about it."

She snuggled into his side, resting her head on his shoulder and an arm across his chest. It didn't take long before they were both asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment