Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 236


David decided to take a walk amongst the troops that were going to be fighting by his side when the Utopians marched on them in a few days.  Brie, of course, went with him.  The Commander that they’d met a few weeks previous walked them through the camp grounds that had become the front yard and surrounding acreage of the house.  “Glad you two decided to come out amongst the men, Mr. and Mrs. Draiman”, he said.

“We wanted to see the men I’ve been inspiring all these years”, David said with a smile.  “Anyway, I’ve been wanting to meet the men and women that have been using the lyrics I’ve written as slogans.”

“Well, our first stop on this impromptu USO tour will be the cavalry unit that rides into battle to ‘Down with the Sickness’.”  He lead them to a group of men all gathered around a fire.  “Atten- HUT!” he called after stopping behind them.  They all stood and snapped to attention.   “This is the 212 Cavalry, aka, ‘The Sickness’”, the Commander said.

“WE’RE NOT DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS, WE ARE THE SICKNESS!  HOOAH!” they all said in unison.

David smiled.  “Good to know, boys.  I trust that you sick sons of bitches are ready to kick some Utopian ass?”

The platoon leader stepped forward.  “Commander, permission to speak freely?”

“Granted, son.”

The boy looked at David dead in the eyes.  “Sir, we are MORE than ready to kick some Utopian ass.  We are animals.  We won’t stop until we taste blood.”

“The beast has come to life, has it?” David asked with a smile.

“They woke up the demons within the moment they took over the government, sir.”

David smiled a satisfied smile.  “Good.  Let’s end this shit, shall we?”

“Hooah, sir.”

The Commander looked at the unit.  “As you were, boys.  I’m just walking the Draiman’s through so that they can meet some of you.”

The platoon leader moved to the rest position and looked at David.  “Mr. Draiman, sir, I would personally like to thank you for all of your words of inspiration to us.  Your words have given my unit hope that this war will eventually end if we continue to keep the faith.”  He extended his hand to David.  “If I may, sir, I’d like to shake your hand.”

David reached out and took the young man’s hand.  “You’re very welcome.  Thank YOU for staying strong during this ordeal.  As I said in my last monologue.  This will be over soon.”

“I won’t rest, sir, until I see the light leave the last Utopian’s eyes.  They killed my younger brother and sister 
before my eyes and imprisoned my parents who died of disease not too very long after they were thrown in prison.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.  I can’t say that I know how that feels, but I can’t say that I would never wish that on anyone.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Why don’t you return to your unit and prepare for the battle to come?  The Utopians will be here soon.  I can feel it.”  The young man nodded and sat back down with his men.

The Commander continued their walk through the grounds.  They met several young men and women with similar stories.  David and Brie both felt a great deal of anger over what they heard that day and their hearts went out to the men and women they spoke to.

When they went back to the house, the guys asked what David and Brie what the atmosphere was like.   “Guys, you have no idea the anger that those men and women feel toward the Utopians.  They won’t get then chance to retreat.  These men and women mean business.  There won’t be a Utopian standing by the time this is all over.”

--------------

“The Army is almost assembled in the Downtown Greeley area.  We’ll march on the address when you at HQ give the orders”, said the Utopian commander.

“Good deal”, said the new Commander of the Army.  No one knew his name or rank and they all feared him.  “Call me when everyone is there and I’ll decided when you hit the safe house.  I don’t want Draiman dead, though.  He WILL stand trial for all this nonsense.”

“Not a problem, sir.  That’s not a problem at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment