Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 189

Matt took the liberty of walking in the door once he spotted Morbus prowling the property.  Something about the band having him there made Matt feel a little more at ease.  "David!  Brie!  I'm here!" he called into the empty living room.

David came down the stairs.  "Hey Matt.  How ya been?"

"Hey, David.  Been good.  How about you?"

"Can't complain, I guess.  I know you don't particularly WANT to hear this, but your sister..”

"... is a hell cat in the sack?"

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"You're not the first guy to tell me that, David.  Malachai's father said the same thing... right after he got her pregnant."  He sounded a little sad.

"Well, I've gotten her pregnant three times and I haven't left yet, so if that doesn't tell you that I love her, then I don't know what to tell you."

"I've seen how you are with her, David.  I know you love her."  Matt took a deep breath and sighed.  "Now, where are the older boys and the other guys?"

"The guys are around here somewhere.  I think they're trying to get their wives to accept what you're offering."

"Well, this is a onetime offer for all the boys but Malachai and your boys.  Honestly, I'd rather wait until he's older, but he makes a good point."

It was David's turn to sigh.  "You know how much I hate it, but you're right and so is he.  Anything is possible and it's not a bad idea for the older boys to know what they're doing with a firearm just in case the worst DOES happen."

--------------

The older boys and their parents all gathered in the living room.  "I don't like it, Dan", Nicole kept insisting.  "Justin is too young for this.”

"So is Logan, but you don't hear John and Kristen bitching, now do you?" was Dan's constant reply.

Matt cleared his throat.  "Excuse me, everyone."  That got everyone's attention.  "Look, we all know that bad shit happens.  If something were to happen to the men, wouldn't you want someone here that can take care of whatever the threat may be?"

"I would, but that's what Morbus is here for", Tina said.

"Yes, Tina, Morbus is here to protect all of you.  But, if Morbus dies, or if the guys are injured, whose going to protect you?  My sister and Kristen can't fight off a battalion of Utopian troops on their own.  Malachai raised this point to me earlier when I spoke to him over the phone.  Now, I hope and pray right along with all of you that the worst doesn't happen, but should it come to pass, your oldest sons should all know how to use a gun."

"Matt, nothing's going to happen", Nicole said.

"Are you daft, Nicole?  There's always the possibility that something could happen.  And should it, I'd feel better if the boys knew how to point a gun and shoot it."

"But, they're still so young.  None of them have ever killed before."

"AND?  Believe me, Nicole, there's a first time for everything."

Brie stood up.  "Look, ladies, I'm just as opposed as you all are to my oldest child learning how to shoot people, but my brother is right and so is my son.  Anything can happen.  We have to prepare for the unknown.  Like it or not, Nicole, Tina, this needs to happen.  I'm a good shot, as good as Matt at the very least, but even I can't fend off a slew of Utopians on my own.  Kristen's a good shot too.  The two of us can put a dent in any squad of Utopians that comes our way, but we can't kill them all.  Now, I don't know if you ladies knew this, but you should all feel very privileged that the Utopians just want to kill your husbands.  They want to torture and publicly execute mine.  Well, that's going to happen over my dead body.  I don't give a shit.  But, SHOULD the Utopians find us here, and SHOULD they feel froggy enough to leap THAT high, I'd feel better knowing that my son can pick up a rifle and start shooting those bastards."  She took her seat next to David.

"Exactly", said Kristen.  "I know that David is the prime target for the Utopians, but nonetheless.  None of those bastards are getting their hands on John and living to tell the tale.  I'd feel better if Logan could grab a rifle or a pistol and start shooting.  You two should feel the same way about your boys."  Kristen and Brie made eye contact and gave each other a brief nod of thanks and acknowledgment.

"So, what do you ladies say?" Matt asked.  "Believe me, they will receive the best training the Resistance Army has to offer.  I don't play around."

Nicole took a deep breath and looked at Dan.  "Geez.  I hate this.  You know I do, Danny."

"I know, baby.  But, anything can happen."

She looked at Matt.  "Fine.  Take Justin and train him in firearms.  It will do him some good anyway."

"Thank you, Nicole.  I'm glad that you trust me."

Tina looked at Mike and sighed.  "Are YOU ok with this, Michael?"

"I don't like it, but I understand that it needs to happen and so should you."

She nodded.  "Ok, Matt, train our boys."

"Thank you, Tina."  Matt looked at everyone.  "I won't let you down.  I promise you that."

No comments:

Post a Comment