Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 173

It didn’t take very long after the Commandant left for Matt to call.  "Have Morbus ready for transport in the next hour.  We'll train him at the Tahlequah facility instead.  I have permission from Director Richardson."

"So, did you finally get to speak to your aunt?"

"Yes, we spent hours getting caught up.  It was great.  I've missed her so much.  But, that's not the point.  Have you bodyguard in training ready to leave within the hour.  We need to make sure he has OJT for something like this."

"That's perfectly fine", David said, looking at Morbus.  "I think I'll sleep a little easier knowing that he's on the property watching out for us at night."

"I think you'll all sleep better.  Now, is there any way I can speak with Morbus?"

"Hold on."  David held the phone out to Morbus.  "The Master Guns want to talk to you."

Morbus took the phone.  "Yes, Master Guns?"  He said a lot of "uhuh" and "yes, Gunny", then handed the phone back to David.

"He's ready, David.  I can hear the killer in his voice.  I can't wait to see him face to face."

"I doubt he'll let you see his face", David said to Matt as Morbus pulled his hood up over his face.  He wore a black ribbed tank top over the scars on his stomach and chest, then pulled a leather jacket over his arms.  The scars spread over his upper body and up over his shoulders.  He wasn't hiding them because he couldn't stand looking at them.  He was hiding them because there were small children in the house and he didn't want to frighten them.

--------------

Matt just walked in.  He didn't bother knocking.  He knew that there was someone up because of the kids.  He spotted a hooded figure sitting on the couch, watching the news with his brother in law.  When David spotted Matt, he grinned.  "Hey, brother in law.  How's it hanging?"

"None ya damn.  Where are my nieces and nephews?  I'd like to say hi to them before taking your new bodyguard to learn how to be the world's most lethal bodyguards the world has ever and will ever seen, and will never see again after he's gone."

David laughed, but called for the kids anyway.  "Have you met the four youngest?  I don't remember."

"No, I don't think I have."

David looked at the kids.  "Meagan, Makayla, James, Jeremiah.  Come here."  The kids all came to their daddy when he called.  "Kids, I want you to meet your Uncle Matt.  He's your Mommy's brother.  Matt, this is Meagan Leann, Makayla Dawn, James Matthew and Jeremiah Alexander."  David said as he pointed at each of them as he spoke their name.

"James Matthew?  David, I'm honored."

"We told you we'd name a boy after you somehow.  We just didn't want to mess up the naming scheme we had going."

"You had to keep a balance of J's and M's, huh?"

"Yeah.  And it seems that after the twins, we strayed quite a distance from Hebrew names too."

Matt laughed.  "Yeah, I noticed.  Malachai, Jacob, Jordan... all Hebrew names.  Madison, Meagan, Makayla, not Hebrew names.  Then James and Jeremiah are right back to the Hebrew scheme.  You two are odd, that's for sure."

--------------

Matt played with his nieces and nephews for a couple of hours.  David and Brie sat on the couch while they watched Matt with their kids.  It was precious.  When he was ready to leave, Brie asked her brother, "Why have you never had kids, Matt?  You'd be a great dad."

"Well, you never know.  I may still surprise you yet."

"Is my hard ass Marine brother seeing someone?"

Matt shrugged.  "Maybe."

Brie gaped.  "Is it serious?"

"Kinda."

"So there's a possibility I might become Aunt Brie?"

"And your husband Uncle David."

"Well, technically we're already Uncle David and Aunt Brie.  Remember, David has a younger brother."


"Yeah, that's true.  But, you don't have any biological nieces and nephews, so you're only Aunt Brie because you're married to David."

No comments:

Post a Comment