Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 188

Malachai was called into his parent's room.  "Yes, sir?" he said to David as he closed the door behind him.

"Malachai, your mother and I have made a decision on you're being trained with a gun.  We'd both be a lot more comfortable if you're Uncle Matt did it, if he has the time.  But if this is REALLY what you want, YOU have to ask him yourself.  Though your mother and I are both loathe to admit it, you are a young man now.  You're no longer that snot nosed little brat that I met seven, almost eight years ago.  So, that being said, if you want the training, you have to ask for it yourself.  Is that understood?"

Malachai had been prepared for the worst, his parents saying no.  He stared at his mom and dad in shock for several minutes.  "Are you serious?" he finally asked.

"Yes, son.  But, if Uncle Matt tells you no, or not until you're older, I don't want to hear another word about it, understood?" Brie told her son.

He nodded.  "Yes, ma'am.  I understand that.  Thank you so much, you won't regret this."  He tackled David and Brie.  They hugged their son and each other.

"NOW", David asked when he pulled back, "do you want to talk to your uncle NOW or later?"  The emphasis on 'now' was intentional.  David had meant for it to sound like whether Malachai liked it or not, he was asking his Uncle right then, in front of his mother and himself.

"That's fine, Dad.  The sooner, the better."

David dialed the number to Matt's office on the compound in Grand Junction, putting the call on speaker.  When Matt answered the phone, David spoke.  "Matt, how's it going?"

"Not too bad, brother in law.  How are is my sister?"

"I'm fine, Matt", Brie said.

"And how are my nieces and nephews?"

"Well, Matt, that's what I'm calling about", David said.  "One of your nephews has a question for you."

"Which one?"

"Malachai."

"Put the boy on."

David handed the phone to his oldest child.  Malachai spoke.  "Uncle Matt, I would like for you to teach me how to handle a gun."

"Are you out of what's left of your mind, boy?"

"No, sir.  I want to learn how to handle a gun for a reason."

"And what reason would you have to learn how to handle firearms, Malachai Aaron?  You have your Mom; your Dad; your Uncles Dan, Mike, and John; your Aunt Kristen; all of which know their way around a firearm."

"And what if something happens to them, Uncle Matt?  Those of us who are old enough to learn AT LEAST the basics, should do so, so that there is someone to protect the younger kids.  Hell, Logan, Justin, and I have been talking about it for a while now.  I'm just the first one to grow a set big enough to ASK for the training."
David looked at his son in shock.  "MALACHAI", he barked, "watch your mouth and your tone with your uncle."

Malachai looked at his father.  His father, he thought.  The man who's raised me thus far.  My Dad.  "Yes, sir.  I'm sorry."

Matt cleared his throat.  "Malachai, are you sure this is what you want to do?"

"Yes, sir, Uncle Matt."

"Ok, here's what I'll do for you, Justin, and Logan, as well as Mike's boys.  I'll come out there and talk to Dan, John, and Mike about the kind of training that I'll give you boys.  Basically, I'm going to put your boys through a mini version of Marine Corps boot camp, Crucible included.  You'll come out stronger, faster and able to handle pretty much any situation they can throw at you.  You are to rely on your training ONLY in the event that the adults can't take care of you kids, then the six of you are to shoot at anything that wears a Utopian uniform.  Do I make myself PERFECTLY clear, Malachai Aaron?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good, give the phone back to your dad and go tell the boys what I decided."

Malachai did what he was asked without a word.  He calmly walked out of the room, but once the door was shut behind him, the boy could be heard sprinting down the hall.  David laughed.  "You sure about this, Matt?"

"The boy raised a really good point, David.  If something happens to you adults, all that's going to be left is the kids.  The older boys need to be able to protect the younger children at all costs."

David sighed.  "I hate to say it, but you're right."

"I'll be there in a few hours.  Tell the guys I'm coming."

"Will do, Matt.  Thanks."

"Not a problem, David.  What's family for?”

No comments:

Post a Comment