Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapter 251

The seasons passed.  Summer became fall.  Fall became winter.  Winter gave way to spring.  Birthdays came and went.  Malachai was now 13.  The twins were 8. 

David and Brie counted down the days till the day that they would finally say “I do”.  The guys started finding David’s anxiousness annoying.  The day of the wedding, he spent more time pacing than anything else.  “David, it’s nothing to be nervous about”, Dan said as they waited in the dressing room for the time to pass.  David was checking his watch every two or three minutes.

“It’s not that I’m nervous, Danny.  I want to get this done.  I want her to finally actually BE my wife instead of just saying that she is.  This has been too long in the making.”

“Brother, we know”, John said, “but you pacing like this isn’t going to make the time pass any faster.”

“Just think of the torture that she and the girls are undergoing”, Mike said with a laugh.  “All the makeup artists in her face and the hair dressers fussing over her nonstop.  Not to mention the dress not wanting to fit the way it’s supposed to.  She’s going through hell right now, brother.  I guarantee it.”

David flew for the door, trying to open it.  His path was blocked by Dan.  “Move Danny, I need to go check on my wife and children.”

“No, David.  You’re being irrational and Mikey’s being an ass.  Remember, she’s not only getting ready, but she’s having to wrangle four girls and get them ready too.  If I move, you’re checking on the boys to see if they’re ready.  The boys need to be wrangled too.”

“Malachai and Jacob have got them under control.”

“No, YOU need to check on the boys.  You need the distraction of seeing what the boys are up to so that you don’t pace yourself into insanity.”

“I’m fine, Danny.”

“No, David, you’re not.  You’re freaking out.  I know you better than you think I do.  We’ve been brothers for about twenty years now.  We lived together for about half of that.  I know you like a book, David.  You need a distraction.  Let’s go check on the boys and see if they’re ready.  Anyway, we need to give James and Jeremiah the rings.”

David sighed.  “Fine.  Let’s go make sure the boys are ready.”

----------------

Brie, on the other hand was cool as a cucumber.  They girls were all on their best behavior.  All of them took to the fussing and pampering, including the little tomboy that was Jordan.  She found that she was enjoying the primping.  “Mom, after this is over, I want to do this more often.  You know, get my nails done and my hair done.  I’m not too wild about the makeup, but I’m loving this.”

Brie smiled at her oldest daughter.  “I’m glad you’re liking it.”

Maddie wandered over, her hair pulled back and full of flowers.  “Mama, when are we going to get to sprinkle the flowers?”

“Here soon, baby girl.”

Nicole came into the room with Meagan and Makayla, the two of them looking the mirror images of their older sisters.  “How do we look, Mama?” Makayla asked.

“Like angels, Kayla bear.  Daddy’s gonna freak out when he sees how beautiful his girls are.”

“Why would Daddy freak out, Mama?” Meagan asked.

“He’s gonna be surprised at how grown up his babies look.”

“Will Dad be happy?” Jordan asked.

“I’m sure he will be.  He’s probably a little nervous right now because the wait is the hardest part.”

“Are you sure he’s even dressed?”

“Jordan, you know your father.  He’s been dressed since he woke up this morning.”

Jordan laughed.  “You know, Mom, I hate to admit it, but you’re right.”

--------------

The time came for Brie to put her dress on.  It was the last thing to be done before she made her walk down the aisle.  She was fighting to keep a hold of her emotions.  She was already starting to tear up and that was the last thing she wanted to do.  She didn’t want to ruin her makeup.  Jordan hugged her mother around the waist.  “Mama, it’s gonna be ok.  Dad’s gonna be standing at the end of the aisle waiting to profess to the world his love for you.”

“It’s not that, Jordan.  I’m not nervous.  I’m actually very happy.  I’m so happy it wants to spill out my eyes.”

“Please don’t cry, Mama.  You’re gonna make me cry and ruin my makeup too.”

Brie smiled.  “I’m trying to not cry, baby.  Once I’m at the altar facing your father, all bets are off.  Got it?”
Jordan smiled her father’s smile.  “Well, I understand that, Mom.  That’s the only time it’s okay for you to cry.”

--------------

Matt knocked on the door and Jordan answered it.  “Hey, Jordan!  You look beautiful.”

She smiled.  “Hi, Uncle Matt.  Thank you.  You look handsome in your uniform.”

“Thanks, sweetheart.  Now, you need to go line up with your brothers and I need to get your Mom.”

She laughed.  “Yes, sir, Master Guns sir.”  She gave him a mock salute before grabbing her bouquet and heading out the door past him.

Matt walked into the room where his little sister was getting ready for her wedding.  “You look beautiful, baby sister.”

She stood in the mirror and fussed over her dress.  “It’s fitting funny, Matty.”

He laughed.  “Stop fucking with it, Ri ri.  You look beautiful.  David’s jaw is going to hit the ground when he sees you.  Now, come on.  It’s about time for everyone else to start walking.  David’s already at the altar.  Good news, he’s NOT wearing his yamicha.”  He was trying to make a joke.

It worked.  She laughed as she fought with dress.  Matt took a handkerchief out of his pocket and dabbed at her eyes.  “Don’t cry just yet, little sister.  Wait until you’re standing in front of your husband and he’s telling the world that he’s chosen YOU to be the only woman he’ll ever want.”

“I’m trying, Matt, but they just keep trying to flood out my eyes.”

He kissed his little sister’s cheek and pulled her veil over her face.  “I’m so proud of you, Brie.  And I’m happy for you too.  He’s a good man and a good father.  I don’t think you could have picked a better man to take as your husband.”  He held out an arm to her.  “Now, let’s get you down that aisle so that you can renew your wedding vows to Mr. Prefect.”  The music came up for them to start down the aisle, and they did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment