Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 211


The Disturbed family had an hour to sit around and watch the snow fall outside as they waited on transport to take them to their individual safe houses.  “Danny, Mikey, John, Morbus- can I talk to you guys for a moment?” David asked as they all sat and waited for Brie’s aunt to show up.

They all stood and stepped out of the room.  “What’s up, brother?” Mike asked.

“I don’t know about you guys, but this is the last time I’m moving.”

“Why do you say that?” Dan asked.

“It’s been almost eight years that we’ve been in hiding.  I’m done with it.  The next time the Utopians find us, let’s fucking end this shit.  Amass the fucking Resistance and have our final fucking stand right there at the damn house.  No more running.  If they want me, then they can come fucking get me.”

Dan, Mike, and Morbus stood there in shock.  John was nodding his head.  “I absolutely agree.  They may only want me dead, but if they want me, they can come fucking get me.  I’m done running from these bastards.  I say we kill them all and let God sort them out.”

David laughed.  “I don’t’ think I could have said it better myself, brother.”  He looked at the other guys.   

“What do you guys say?”

“I’m in, David”, Morbus said.  “I owe those Utopian fucks a good ass kicking.  Let me get my hands on those bastards and I give them ten kinds of hell.”

Dan slowly cracked a smile.  “I never thought I’d hear you say this shit, David, but I’m glad you’re speaking up.  What made you come around finally?”

“Brie.  Plain and simple.  She got pissed about having to leave yet another house and let me know about it.   
I’ve been thinking it for a long time now, but her finally saying something made me finally say something.  I know that if she’s tired of something, then everyone else is too.  She’s the most patient person I know.”

“Well, it’s certainly about fucking time, brother, that’s for sure”, Mike said.  “Let’s put some Utopians out of their misery.  No more running.  I’m just as sick of hiding from those bastards as you are.  I say we put an end to this bull shit once and for fucking all.”

--------------

Transport finally arrived.  Director Richardson decided to accompany the teams to make sure that everything got done to her standards.  She walked into the house with an aura of authority that no one could argue with.  “Ok, everybody, listen up.  Here’s how this is going to go down.  Your departure is going to be staggered.  Donegan family, you will be leaving first.  Fifteen minutes later, Wengren family and Ms. Pamulo, you will be leaving.  Fifteen minutes after that, Moyer family, you will depart.  Finally, the last departure will be the Draiman family and Morbus.  Morbus, you WILL accompany Brie, David, and the children to the safe house.  Tomorrow morning, 0730, you WILL be in my office.  Transport will be at the safe house to pick you up at 0600.  Are there any questions whatsoever?”

Nobody said a word.  They just all looked at each other and then Dan grabbed his suitcase along with Nicole’s hand.  “Ok, you heard the woman, kids.  Let’s get moving.  Time is NOT on our sides right now.”  Justin and Maya grabbed their bags and headed for the door.

Brie looked at her aunt.  “Why fifteen minutes between each departure, Director?”

“Because that’s the time frame for each of the transports to arrive.  I don’t’ want the Utopians thinking that there is anything huge going on at this house.  It’s bad enough they’re going to blow it on us.  Thankfully, not long after you called, David, my source inside called me and gave me the exact same Intel.  As we approached, we saw a team in the woods getting ready to strike.”

“Director, request permission to go out and make this the worst day of the Utopian’s lives”, Morbus said

“You think you can take them on your own, Morbus?”

“Hell, yes, Madam Director.  I was trained by the Master Guns, after all.”

The Director couldn’t help but crack a smile.  “That is true.”  She thought about it for a moment.  “Granted, Morbus.  Just try not to leave any evidence.”

“Yes, ma’am”, he said and ran out the door.

David laughed.  “I know exactly where he’s stopping first.”

“Where, baby?” Brie asked.

“His utility shed.  I’m sure he left one toy out there just in case your aunt here let him go out and make this night a nightmare for the Utopian squad out there.”

“Oh, by the way, David, they’re not Death Squads anymore.  They’ve decided to call them Extermination Squads now”, the Director said.

“Are you kidding me?  Extermination squads?  What are we, pests and varmint to be exterminated?”

She nodded.  “Yep.  That’s what my contact at the Utopian War Headquarters said.”

“Their WAR HEADQUATERS, Aunt Gail?  You have got to be kidding me”, Brie said.

“I’m afraid not, my dear.”

“Holy fucking God”, David said.  “This is starting to sound more and more like Nazi Germany every time I speak to you, Director.  Why the hell haven’t we ended this already?”

“Believe me, David, I feel your pain.  And I’m doing my damnedest to end this shit once and for all.”

“Well, here’s something for you to consider, Director.  We’re not running anymore.  If the Utopians find us at the new large house, then they can come and fucking get us.”

“You want to have the last stand at the new safe house?”

“You bet your ass I do.  I’m tired of running and I’m tired of being cooped up all the fucking time.  If those bastards want me, then can come fucking try to get me.  I’m not going down without one hell of a fight.”

The Director cracked a slow smile.  “That just might work, David.  It’s brilliant, if I do say so myself.  Whose idea was it, if I may ask?”

David looked at Brie with a satisfied smile.  “My wife’s.”


The hooded figure crept silently through the woods, nothing but a knife and a pistol in his hand.  The men he was after were just a few clicks ahead; his first target carelessly in his sight.  This was the stuff he’d trained for.  It was his job to protect his charges and that was exactly what he intended to do.

He crept silently up behind the first man in his sight and slit his throat with no problem.  Trust these bastards to be drunk right before a job, he thought to himself as he moved through the woods to his next target.  He pulled the knife across his throat with just as much ease.  As he turned toward the woods, he heard a yell.  “Freeze, mother fucker!” 

He froze, tucking the knife and gun into his waist band before putting his hands in the air.  “Mother fucker, mother fucker, I may be.  But, the mother I fuck, don’t belong to me, you Utopian piece of trash.”

“Get on the ground, you piece of shit”, the man said with a drunken slur.

He did what he was ordered to do.  He felt something under his left hand.  It was the stock of a shot gun he’d planted out here for just such an occasion.  He didn’t move to pull it free of the fallen leaves and snow, though.  He waited for just the right moment.  He was the master of timing because one moment could be the difference between life and death.  He knew this because the man who trained him had gotten the drop one him a few times when he was still green and wet behind the ears.  The conversation rang in his ears as he laid there and waited for the stupid son of a bitch who THOUGHT he had him to approach.  “Morbus, you have to be alert and ready at all times”, the Master Guns told him.  “I could have just taken your head off and you never would have known it.  Become the master of timing, Morbus.  One tiny millisecond of time could mean that someone you are protecting dies.  Be on your guard.  Now, let’s try this exercise with the roles reversed.  You sneak up on me, and I’ll show you what I mean.”  The exercise happened in reverse and he’d learned just was his mentor was talking about.  Now, it was the same principle.  He listened as the man crept up slowly behind him and to the right.  His left hand slowly gripped the stock of the weapon under his hand.  As the squeak of the snow under the man’s boots got louder, he took a deep breath, waiting for the perfect moment.  When it came, he rolled and aimed the shotgun left handed and pulled the trigger.  The man didn’t even see it coming.
He stood and scanned the woods for anymore men.  Poor bastards, they didn’t even see it coming, he thought.  Quickly after that, he added, Oh well, sucks to be them.  He stoked the fire that they had started and threw the rest of their fire wood on it.  He stood for several moments and watched the fire triple in size, then started throwing the bodies into the blaze.  The Director told me not to leave any evidence, he thought as he stalked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment