Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 209

Angela came out an hour later, laughing, and headed for the sink.  "Brie, is he always such a chatter box when he's getting a massage?"

"Yeah, he just needs a neutral ear to express his problems to.  When he relaxes, it all comes out."

She nodded as she scrubbed her hands and forearms.  "Even after you turn him over.  He cracked me up the entire time."

Morbus came sliding into the house right about that time.  "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I found some bad news."  He held up a stack of papers.

"What's that, Morbus?" Dan asked.

"Isn't that David's line, Danny?" Morbus asked.

"Answer him as thought I asked it", David yawned as he walked into the room.

Morbus shook his head.  "What has you so sleepy, boss man?"

"I just got a great massage.  Now, answer Dan's question, Morbus, before I call Matt over in Israel and have him end you when he gets back."

Fear flashed momentarily in the red eyes of the bodyguard, then he bit it back and gave his explanation.  "I found these on that woman who was here earlier.  They're orders to hit the house if she doesn't return in 12 hours after getting into the house.  The Utopians planned for the eventuality of her death."

Angela's eyes widened as she shut off the water faucet.  "I heard about something of that nature at the school before I left to come out here.  I had just finished with my only class for the day and there were several young people gathered around the back of the building.  Amongst them was April. I didn't pay much attention to it because they didn't address the house as the Disturbed house.  They referred to it as 'The House'.  I figured at first they were all staying together in one apartment or something, but now, I'm certain they were talking about this house here."

"Explain further, please, Angela.  What did you hear, exactly?" David asked, suddenly much more alert than he was when he walked into the room.

"That the Utopians were planning to blow up 'The House', and that they needed to get everyone and everything out of 'The House" before the Utopians struck.  That there was only a few hour window to clear 'The House' before everything went boom", Angela explained.

The men, including Morbus, all exchanged a look, then cursed aloud.  "SHIT!"

David looked at Angela.  "Looks like you just gave me an excuse to call the director again for a new safe house.", he said.

"And just as I was getting used to this one", Mike complained.

"What sucks is that we didn't get to stay in this one for a couple of years before having to move", Tina said.

"Yeah, well, the closer this war gets to ending, the more desperate the Utopians get to find you guys.  We're gonna have to move one more time because they THINK they have us.  And, unfortunately, this time they're right", Brie said with a sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment