Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 184

The buses rolled through El Paso without so much as a thought from the drivers.  The band, however, was a little upset that they couldn't stop and at least talk with the people they were inspiring.  "This shit blows!" Dan said.  The entire Disturbed Family was on David and Brie's bus.  Dan hadn't stopped pacing since they rolled past the battered city limits sign.

"Well, Danny, if you didn't want me to incite a riot, then why did you give me the nod?" David asked him as he watched the news.

"That's not it, Dave.  I don't regret giving you the signal to say what you said.  I just wish that we could stop and talk to the people.  It sucks."

"Well, Danny, your fans have responded violently to David's speech", Brie said.  "What did you expect to happen?  Did you think that they were just going to sit and let the Utopian Government continue they're ridiculous attempt at a Nazi Germany like culture?  They use fear to control us.  It has to end, Danny.  Surely you know that."  She sat down next to her husband and set a plate on the table in front of him.  It was just a sandwich, but that's all he really asked for.

He leaned in and kissed her cheek, whispering, "Thank you".  She smiled at him, then he turned his attention to Dan.  "Yeah, brother, what she said."

"I do realize that is has to end.  I just as tired as you all are being cooped up in that house.  I miss my place in Chicago.  I know everyone misses their houses."  Dan looked at John.  "Didn't you take your family to your place in Austin?"

"I took them to the property, the house is no longer standing.  The Utopians made sure that I wouldn't have a home to go to after this war is over.  Kristen was in tears.  Logan and Kylie were upset because they're mama was upset.  So was Jonathan.  It was agony."

"So, if John doesn't have a place in Austin, then why do any of us think that we'll have a house to after this war is over?" Mike asked.  "I'm sure that if John's place was blown to shit, so was yours, Dan.  Mine probably was too, that place I had in Milwaukee." 

"I think I was the only one that had a place that was unknown to the Utopians before the war broke out and that's because I was hiding Brie and Malachai there until Uproar started before Asylum come out", David said, then took a bite of the sandwich his beautiful woman made him.  She really knows how to take care of me, he thought, tuning out the rantings of Dan Donegan.

Finally, Brie had had enough of Dan's bitching.  "You know what, Danny, SHUT UP!", she said.  "You're not the only one who's upset that you can't get out there amongst the masses.  I'm sure that the other guys are too.  I KNOW that David is, but he's not dwelling on the fact that he can't get out there and talk to the very people he's been trying to inspire from a distance for going on a decade.  Grow up, would you?  You're acting like your son."

Nicole looked at her husband.  "Daniel, I have never heard you complain so much in the years that we've been married.  Settle down and stop acting like Justin or I'm going to put my size 7 up your ass."

David tuned back in that what was going on right about that time and nearly choked on the bite of his sandwich he was chewing because he started laughing.  After he swallowed his food, he tried to speak through his laughter.  "I've never heard you speak like that, Nikki.  You're the most non violent person I know."

Nicole laughed.  "Well, even I get tired at some point of hearing people bitch.  I usually leave chewing you guy's asses to Brie, she's just better at it than I am, but there comes a time when even I won't tolerate any more of the bull shit and I let people know it."

"But, you just told your husband that you were going to put your size seven up his ass of he didn't stop bitching.  I've never heard you speak like that", David said.  He just couldn't stop laughing.

Nicole just shrugged.  "I've threatened him plenty of times.  I usually wait until we're in private before I do".
David shook his head.  "Hell hath NO FURY like a woman scorned", he said.

"Or pissed off", Nicole added with a satisfied grin.

---------------

"Hello?" Director Richardson.

"Madam, I have more news for you concerning the safety of the band you sent out on tour.  The Utopian Lieutenant is trying to put together another Death Squad because of Draiman's speech at the rally in Austin.  The Lieutenant wants to torture Draiman and have him publicly executed for crimes against the Utopian state", said the man on the other end of the line.

"Should I have the band go back into hiding?"

"Not to the house in Tahlequah, not if you want them to live.  I have people that can move their things as soon as you give the order.  We'll move them to a town in Colorado called Loveland.  There's a rather large three story house there that would be perfect for the band and their families, especially Draiman's family of ten."
Richardson thought about it for a moment.  Should I send them back to Tahlequah and risk them being found or take the initiative and have them moved?  If they're moved, then my nieces and nephews are all safe, she thought.  "Do it.  I'll call the band and let them know what's going on.  Thank you for calling, Master Sergeant."

"I have just as much staked in their survival as you do, Director Richardson.  Draiman's children are my nieces and nephews too."

"I know, Samuel.  She's your niece, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment