Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 230


David was jolted awake.  He wiped a hand across his brow and found that he woke in a sweat.  That was fucked up, he though.  Never gonna happen.  They’re never gonna take me.  He carefully peeled Brie off of his shoulder and climbed out of bed.  He went to the bathroom and washed his face, staring at his reflection for several moments as water dripped off of his chin.  “They won’t take me.  It will never happen.  They’ll have to kill me first”, he said aloud.  He stood up straight and walked down the hall to check on the kids before going back to bed.  He climbed back into be trying not to wake the angel that had be by his side for eight years and succeeding.  He quietly settled back into bed beside her, taking her in his arms and falling swiftly back to sleep.

 --------------                                                                                                           

That morning, David was on fire.  He hadn’t stopped talking about how there was no way in hell the Utopians were going to be able to take him alive.  “They want me, they can come get me.  I’m not going to go quietly.  Fuck those Utopian bastards.”

Brie laughed.  “Baby, you don’t have to tell me.  I already know.”

“I’m done with this fucking war.  I’m tempted to leak the information myself.”

“Then why don’t you?”

He paused in his tracks.  He’d been pacing, pausing only long enough to take a drink of his coffee then put the cup right back down on the coffee table.  “Yeah, why don’t I?  It will ensure that the Utopians find us and by the time the tape makes it to the ‘War headquarters’ of the Utopian army, we’ll have had enough time to amass the Resistance, gather provisions, and put together an escape plan for the noncombatants.  It’s fucking fool proof.”

“You're gonna leak the location in the monologue?”

“Hell yeah, and I’m gonna DARE those fuckers to come find us.  I WANT them to come get me and see just how big a mistake they made.”

She smiled.  “Who are you, what have you done with my husband, and how long are you staying?” she joked.

He laughed.  “I got a nasty wakeup call last night and decided that I’m DONE with this shit.  I don’t want our kids to have to fight this war after we’re gone and I’m DONE hiding from these bastards.  It’s time that we take this shit into our own hands.  This war WILL be over by the end of the year.”

The conviction in his voice and his eyes touched her.  She knew that he meant every word of what he was saying.  She just silently hoped that he didn’t end up eating those words.

--------------

After the rest of the household was up and awake, Matt made an appearance.  David had already informed everyone of what he wanted to do and they were all for it, not to his surprise.  What would have shocked David was if they had thought it was a bad idea.

“So, what’s the decision?” Matt asked.

“I’m going to leak the location”, David said simply.

“You’re gonna WHAT?” Matt asked.  “Can you repeat that for me?  For a moment there I thought I heard you talking crazy, David.”

“You heard me, Matthew.  I’M going to leak the location to the Utopians.”

“And what in the world makes you think that’s a good idea, David?”

“Think about this for a moment, Matt.  If I leak the location in the monologue it will take just enough time for us to amass the Resistance here, gather provisions, put together an escape plan for the noncombatants in the 
house, and put together a strategy to end this shit one and for all.”

He stood and considered everything that his brother in law has just said and did so carefully.  “You know what, David.  It’s genius.  By the time the tape gets to Washington, we’ll have had the time to amass enough people to finally end this.”

“See?  Tell me that I’m not a genius.  I defy you to tell me that my plan isn’t brilliant.”

“You know, if we manage to get this ended, there may be talk of you running for office.”

“HELL TO THE NO!  I won’t even consider that.  I want to get out of hiding, find another surrogate for to have two more kids, and finally marry your sister.  All I want is for my children to live in a world where they can play outside and not have to worry about the possibility of getting shot at because they’re my children.  I want a world where I can celebrate Halloween, Hanukah, and their BIRHTDAYS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD and not have to stay in the house for everything.  I don’t want to run the country.  I just want to live my fucking life.”

“Hey, David, I’m just warning you that there may be that pressure because you’ve been the voice of the Resistance.  You’ve been the one inspiring our fighting men and women to keep fighting the good fight and to stay the course.  There MAY BE the possibility that you may be asked to serve temporarily until we can get the United States back on course.”

“And I’ll have to decline.  I will NOT serve as the President of the United States.”

“No fancy quotes?”  David flipped him off.  “How’s THAT for fancy for you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment