Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 179

The news the next day was full of speculation.  "... Sources tell us that heavy metal band Disturbed is back on the road again performing at rallies all over the country.  They are finally coming out of hiding after seven years in hiatus.  We have received word that they performed in New Orleans yesterday and are on their way an undisclosed location in the Midwest.  We wish the band and their families all the luck in the world as they tour the country..."

David shut off the TV on the bus in disgust.  "Those fucking people WANT to get us killed, don't they?"

Brie was cooking breakfast and looked over her shoulder.  "Who, baby?”

"The fucking media.  Every fucking time we do something, they have to announce it.  Now, they've announced a possible location for the fucking Utopians to find us and take our fucking heads off.  It's bull shit!"

"Call my aunt and see if you can be rescheduled in a different location in a different region of the country."

"What?"

"Call my Aunt Gail and see if she can have you guys moved.  I didn't stutter, David."

He just stared at her.  "Why the fuck didn't I think of that?  I swear, I'm so fucking slow right now."

"You'll be ok, sweetie.  Anyway, we're not doing the Chicago show until close to the end of the tour."

"Where are we going?"

She smiled.  "North... to Memphis.  From there we head west."

"So, why suggest calling your aunt?"

She laughed.  "Just to screw with you."  She took a seat next to him on the sofa.  "David, did you ever think that maybe my aunt is feeding the media bad information to keep the Utopians off your tails?"

"Then why the bit about the show in New Orleans?"

"The best lies always contain a little bit of truth."  He had no reply to that.

--------------

"They're headed out to the Midwest, sir.  Our best guess is that they're going to their home town Chicago."

"Something's not right about that, First Sergeant." the Lieutenant said.

"What do you mean, sir?"

"It seems to me that would either start in Chicago, or end.  Either way, we'll catch them.  And when we do, the only ones that die on site are Donegan, Wengren, and Moyer.  Draiman will be publicly executed in the most painful way I can imagine."

"Aye, sir.  I'll inform the Death Squad."

The Lieutenant studied the picture in front of him as the First Sergeant left.  "Mr. Draiman, I have something very special planned for you Anarchist ass.  You will burn, literally, for your crimes against the Utopian State. Your song 'Inside the Fire' will take on a different meaning by the time I'm done with you."

---------------

"Morbus, we've received word that the Utopians may be mounting an attack on the band.  Be alert at all times." Morbus read the text message with utter disgust.  Fucking Utopians, he thought, don't know how to keep ANY information to themselves.  I bet they THINK they're going to capture David and torture him or something like that.  Ha, not on my fucking watch.  They probably think that the band is unprotected.  Surprise, surprise, you Utopian sack lickers.  I've got all of your fucking numbers right here on my scope.  And if not on my scope, then etched in the rockets of my RPG's.  You fucking bastards will never see me coming.  I'm willing to bet your lives on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment