Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 228


Matt walked into the house accompanied by Morbus.  “Look what I drug in, boys!” Morbus called as he walked Matt to the Kitchen.

Matt punched Morbus in the arm.  “Stop being such a dick, Morbus.  I’m here to talk to Dan.”

“What’s wrong with talking to David?”

“He’s preoccupied with my sister, Morbus.  I didn’t need to know what they were doing, but hey!  It IS her birthday after all.”

“I’ll be sure to tell her happy birthday, then.” He led Matt to the kitchen.

David turned toward the kitchen door as Matt and Morbus walked in.  “Hiya, Matt, what was it you wanted to tell me before your sister hung up on you this morning?”  He wore the biggest shit eating grin known to man.

“I thought you’d still be busy, David, that’s why I didn’t bother calling back.”

“Well, I’m not busy now, and there’s no telling when your sister is going to come down here and drag me back upstairs, so make it quick.”  He took a sip of his coffee.

“Well, David, for one, it’s going to take longer than anticipated to get Fuzz back in good enough condition for him to be any good ending this war.”

David laughed and shrugged.  “Oh well, that sucks.  Sucks to be that poor fucker, I guess.”  He took another sip of coffee.  “What’s the rest of the news?”

“Well, it’s more like a question.  Would it be okay with the rest of you that the Director leaked your whereabouts so that we can finally end this war once and for all?”

David shrugged, and then looked at the guys.  “I don’t give a fuck right now, so you guys are going to have to make that call.”

Dan laughed.  “How about we wait until he’s not wearing a shit eating grin before we decide yes or no on that one?”

“I like Danny’s idea”, John said.

“Same here”, Mike said.  “Our fearless leader needs to have his head on straight before we make that kind of a call.”

“I have my head on straight, Mikey.  There’s just no fucking way to ruin my mood right now because I just had mind blowing sex with my wife.”

“And that’s why she’s not down here?” Dan asked.

“No, she’s getting a shower and getting dressed.  She should be down here momentarily.”  David’s smile hadn’t faded since he’d come down the stairs.

Matt laughed.  “Is she really THAT good in bed, David?”

“You’ll never know, Matt.  I’ll NEVER tell.”

--------------

After Matt left, Brie slid down the banister to get downstairs.  When her feet hit the floor at the bottom of the stairs, she was greeted by, “Happy Birthday, Mom!” from her children.

She smiled.  “Who told you?”

“Daddy told me and I told everyone else”, Maddie said with a big smile.

“How old are you today, Mom?” Jacob asked.

“I’m the dreaded age of 42, today, Jake.”

“You’re old, Mom”, Jordan said.

“And you’re starting to get old, too, there Miss Jordan.”  She picked up a lock of her oldest daughters hair.   

“Is that a little bit of gray I see, Jordan Hannah?”

She jerked back from her mother.  “No!” the girl said adamantly.

David came into the room.  “What seems to be the problem out here?” he asked.

“Jordan called me old, so I told her she was going gray”, Brie said.

“Am I, Dad, really?” Jordan asked.

He looked down at his daughter.  “Oh, I don’t know, Jordan.  Am I old too?”

“Are you older than Mom?”

“Yeah, I am, by about four years.”

“Then you’re old too.”

“I think I see a few gray strands in your hair there, Jordan baby.  What have you been doing that’s causing 
you to go gray?” he teased.
She gapped at her parents.  “That’s not funny, Mom and Dad.”
David and Brie laughed.  “Well, if you’re going to call us old, be prepared to get called old yourself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment