Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 190

That night after Matt left, Dan had the idea to send the boys off with a Family Jam night.  The other adults agreed.  Dan, Mike, and John had been teaching their boys how to play different songs in their respective instruments.  Justin played lead guitar, Simon played drums, and Logan played bass.  David had talked to Malachai about singing by himself.  Malachai loved the idea.  "Have I ever told you that you're the coolest Dad on the planet?"

"I think you have, but I can't be sure.  I think the last time you said that was the day I took you on stage with me for that rally at Lake Tenkiller", David said with a laugh.

"Well, you're the coolest dad ever, Dad.  I mean that."

"Well, you're going to be singing as Justin, Simon, and Logan play, 'Chai.  Can you handle that?"

"We practice together all the time, Dad.  We pretend we're you guys and we on stage in front of thousands of screaming fans.  It's a LOT of fun!"

David laughed harder.  "I think being onstage is fun too, son.  Now, get your voice warmed up so that you can sing with your cousins."  He walked off an shook his head, finding Brie in the Kitchen, humming to herself.  It sounded like "Crucified".  He walked over to her quietly and wrapped his arms around her waist, singing to the tune she hummed.  "Till it makes you blind, till the faces of your former world have fallen from your sight, till you're mine, till the voice of doubt no longer dominates your mind, I'm Crucified"  She turned in his arms so that she could wrap her arms around his neck as he sang the second verse.  "Cold and unwhole again, Crying out and questioning, Will I ever love again?, What’s the point of anything?, It takes a toll again, This is where the fun begins, Visions haunt me through the night, Now I’m dying for your sins, I can’t believe that, If you look me in the face, You can say there’s nothing left, Our silence drives me insane, I will focus all my painRight into your heart".  She joined in with him as he sang, taking harmony.  "Till it makes you blind, Till the faces of your former world, Have fallen from your sight, Till you’re mine and to the voice, I tell no longer dominate your mind, I’m crucified".
He smiled at her and kissed her nose.  "Why don't I hear you sing more often?  You have a beautiful voice, love."

She giggled.  "David, you're the singer of the two of us.  You've made a living at it.  I've made my living with my hands giving massages.  Two totally different sets of talents."

He shook his head.  "I think not, Brie.  You sing rather well yourself.  I'm sure you could have gotten a record deal before the war broke out."

She gave him a gentle peck on the lips.  "Baby, though I do love music, it's not what I wanted to do with my life.  I wanted to help people with my hands."

"And you do so amazingly, might I add."

She smiled.  "You know something, baby?"

"What's that?”

"I love you."

He smiled at her.  "I love you, too.  Now, why don't we go get settled in the living room.  The boys have a surprise for us."

--------------

"... Ease your mind, this moment will pass if you just Leave It Alone, Leave It Alone, every time my dysfunction is on your mind, when you find that you're at odds with your desire, just Leave It Alone, Leave It Alone, every time my destruction is on your mind, before you find that you have tested my resolve one too many times..", Malachai sang as the rest of the household sat and jammed.  David and Brie had HUGE smiles on their son jam just like his Dad.  David mouthed the words right along with Malachai.  When the song was over, everyone applauded as the kids took their bows and Simon, Logan, and Justin handed their instruments back to their dads.  "Thanks everyone!"  Malachai said as he sat down next to his parents.

David and Brie hugged their son and congratulated him.  "You were great, "Chai", David said as he patted the boy on the back.

"Thanks, Dad.  That was so much fun.  Maybe one of these days I'll start a band and become famous like you, Dad."

"Work hard in school, practice as much as you can, and maybe that will happen."

Malachai smiled his mother's smile and took his seat at David's feet.

"So, David, what do you feel like singing right now?" John asked. 

David took a deep breath and looked at his wife.  "Sing with me."

She looked at him with a gentle smile.  "Ok.  What do you want me to sing with you?"

"Remember the very first Family Jam Night?  You sang "The Night" with Malachai."

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Sing that with me."

She smiled wider.  "Ok."

"You take the first verse, I'll take the second verse.  Chorus we'll sing together."

"You got it, baby."

David looked back at the guys.  "Danny, give me 'The Night'."  Dan nodded and started playing the haunting melody that started off "The Night".

After a few more counts, Brie came in with the first verse.  "What has come over me?  What madness taken over my heart?, To run away, the only answer, pulling me away to fall upon (the night) The source of my recovery, Sweet shadow taking hold of the light, Another day has been devoured, Calling me away, Begging a question why, for saving me from all they've taken, Letting my armor fall again, Giving me the strength to face them, Feeling it taking over now, On a path to take it all away"

David joined in.  "There can be no better way of knowing, In a world beyond controlling, Are you gonna deny the savior in front of your eyes, Stare into the night, Power beyond containing, Are you gonna remain a slave for the rest of your life?  Give into the night"

Brie dropped out and let David sing alone.  "This self discovery, redemption taking over my mind, a serenade of haunting voices, Calling me away to feast upon (the night), The source of my felicity, Dark maiden taking hold of my hand, Lead me away from hibernation, strong and unafraid, Never a question why, For saving me from all they've taken, letting my armor fall again, Giving me the strength to face them, feeling it taking over now, On a path to take it all away"

Right on cue, Brie's voice joined her husband's.  "There can be no better way of knowing, In a world beyond controlling, Are you gonna deny the savior in front of your eyes, Stare into the night, Power beyond containing, Are you gonna remain a slave for the rest of your life?  Give into the NIGHT!"  They were silent for a little bit, letting Danny tear up the solo in the middle of the song.  That had always been Brie's favorite part of the song, Dan's solos.

"Give into the night, In a world beyond controlling, Are you gonna deny the savior in front of your eyes?, Stare into the night, Power beyond containing, Are you gonna remain a slave for the rest of your life?  Give into the night, 

Niiiight, Niiiight, Niiiight, Niiiiiiight, Give into the night, Niiight, Niiiiight, Niiiiiight, Give in to the NIGHT(Give into the NIGHT), Give into the .. NIGHT(Give into the NIGHT!)"  Brie took an echoing part at the end.  David looked at her as she echoed him, perfectly on pitch.  This woman never ceases to amaze me, he thought as the song ended and applause echoed through the house.  

"That was awesome, Mom and Dad!" Maddie and the quads all said.

"Mom, Dad,  you two should sing together more", Jordan told them.  Brie couldn't help but laugh.

"Dad, can you teach me how to sing like that?"  Jacob asked his father.

"I don't know, son, I'll have to see what your grades are looking like first." David looked at his wife.  "Don't you agree, Mama?"

"Sure do, Daddy.  Those grades better had better be spot on or not music lessons for any of you”

"Ah, man!"  They all groaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment