Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 197

David and Brie finally made their way back to the main part of the house.  Malachai had just gotten home, and he and Jordan were playing with their younger siblings.  "Baby, I'm going to hit the weight room", David said to his wife.

She nodded.  "No problem.  I wanted to talk to Malachai about how his day went.  Fill you in on all the details later?"

"Sounds good", he said with a smile, then went back upstairs to change.

Brie went and took a seat on the couch and watched her kids play some little game that Malachai had made up with Jordan and Jacob were younger.  She didn't quite get it, but it made the kids happy, so what did she care.

Jordan looked at her mother.  "Mama, can I talk to you?"

"'Bout what, sweetie?"

"The whole mess with Uncle Mikey."

Brie sighed.  "I suppose so, sweetheart, but it's really not any of your business."

"Mama, it's totally my business.  You're not moving us away from the rest of our cousins.  I won't allow it.”

"You're seven years old, Jordan Hannah, what the hell do you plan on doing about it should I want to do just that?"

"Mama, can I be blunt?"

"By all means, Jordan.  You're the one that wanted this talk."

"Look, Mom, we all love you.  All eight of us.  And we all love Dad.  But, I think I can see what the problem is.  I can understand why you're all fighting and at each other's throats."

"Really?  Do tell, then, Jordan.  The suspense is killing me."

"We've ALL been cooped up here just as long as you have, Mom.  There are times that I get mad at Maya or Kylie, and I won't talk to them for DAYS.  But, eventually, I forgive them.  Now, granted, what Uncle Mikey said was really stupid.  And what Aunt Tina said wasn't all that bright either.  And, Aunt Nicole needs to learn that not EVERYTHING is her business.  But, Mama, we're all family here.  Who helped you deliver me and Jacob?"

"Your Dad, and your aunts."

"Who helped you deliver Maddie?"

"You Dad and Aunt Kristen."

"Who was willing to die when you got attacked when Miss Natalie was pregnant with the quads?"

"Your Dad and uncles."

"Do you see my point?  There's not a person in this house that doesn't love you, and us kids.  But, we're family.  We're going to fight at some point."

"I see what you're saying, but Jordan, there has to come a point when a person draws a line."

"I get that, Mom.  I really do.  Everyone has to have boundaries.  But, Mama, are you really going to let a stupid comment by Uncle Mikey ruin your friendship with Aunt Tina and Aunt Nikki?"

Brie sighed.  "You're right, Jordan.  You normally are, though you shouldn't be so wise at seven years old."

"Mama, if you haven't noticed, I watch people.  That's what I do.  If any of us kids is the brains of the operation, it's me.  Malachai and Jake are the muscle.  Maddie is the distraction.  We're still trying to fit the quads into the scheme.  We're getting there."

Brie laughed.  "You're funny, Jordan.  Though, I have no doubt in my mind that you kids are ALL schemers when you're father and I aren't around.”

"You better believe it.  We're still trying to figure out a way to pull the wool over yours and Dad's eyes.  But, I don't see that ever happening."

"It won't.  Your Dad and I have eyes in the backs of our heads.  And, I'm sure your Dad will tell you the same thing… there's nothing that you kids can do what we haven't done already."  She reached out and pulled her oldest daughter against her.  "Thank you, Jordan.  I needed this talk.  I hate to admit it, but I needed it."

"No problem, Mom.  I could see that you needed someone other than Dad to talk to.  And, honestly, I've been seeing this coming for a long time now.  I just never said nuthin."

No comments:

Post a Comment