Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 242

Finally after a night of celebration, everyone called it a night.  David and Brie were the first ones to call it a night.  They wanted to celebrate privately and they did exactly that all night LONG!  When the sun came up the next morning, they were still celebrating.  When the sun first peaked over the horizon, they were lying in bed holding each other in silence.  David was the first to speak.  “What are you thinking?”

“That I can’t believe that it’s finally over.  As soon as my aunt gives us the go ahead, we can move into our OWN house again.  We can finally get married and not have to worry about the Utopians trampling all over it and hauling you off to prison.  It’s over.”

He smiled and gave her a gentle squeeze.  “Yes, it’s finally over and none too soon.  I’ve been waiting for this shit to end.  Kinda sad that I had to do it myself though, don’t you think?”

She laughed.  “Yeah, that’s true, but sometimes that’s life.  You gotta take matters into your own hands sometimes.”

“How is it that you always know the right thing to say?”

She shrugged.  “It’s a gift, I guess.”

He tilted her face up to his to place a soft kiss on her lips.  “Well, it’s a great gift to have.  It’s good to know that you have a talent with words.”

I have a talent with words?  Listen to you.  I don’t use big words like ‘Avarice’ or anything like that.”

“So, I have a big vocabulary.  I don’t have talent for saying what needs to be said when it needs saying.”

“Actually, my love, you do.  You know what to say to me when I need it.”

That made him smile.  “Thank you for that.  That made me smile.”

“That was the point, honey.”

“I love you, Brie.  I hope you know that.”

“David, I DO know.  And I love you too.”

 --------------

As Brie and David got up in the morning for breakfast, David’s phone rang.  “Hello?” he said when he answered it.

“Good Morning, David.  How are you this morning?” asked the Director.

“Not bad.  Haven’t gotten my coffee for the morning, but I’m awake and alert.  What did you need this morning, Director?”

“Just calling to let you guys know to start packing your shit.  You can all go home now.”

David’s jaw dropped.  “You’re kidding, right?”

“No, sir.  You guys can all go to your OWN homes to stay and not have to worry about Utopians beating down your door or taking shots at you.”

“Could you stay on the phone and let the guys hear that with their own ears?  They’ll never believe me.”

“No problem.  Get down the stairs and let me tell them myself.”

David grabbed Brie’s hand and drug her down the stairs so that the guys could hear what the Director was saying.  “Guys, I have the Director on the phone.  She wants to tell you all something”, he said as he walked into the room and put the phone speaker.  “Go ahead, Director.”

“Boys, start packing your shit and get ready to home.  John, Mike, Dan, your homes are being rebuilt as we speak.  David, your house in Colorado Springs is still standing and is having rooms added on to it to accommodate a family of twelve.”

“But, we’re a family of ten, Director.”

“Aren’t you and my niece thinking about two more?”

“That we are.”

“You’ll need the extra rooms then, won’t you?”

He chuckled.  “I guess so.”

“Hold the hell on!” Mike said.  “We can start packing our shit to go home?  Are you serious, Director?”

“Yes, Mike.  And, just a warning, soon you will be calling me Madame President.  I’ll be serving temporarily as president until we get the Democracy reestablished.”

“THAT is good news.  We’re going back to our old system of government and we’ll have someone who’s competent in office.  It’s great!” Dan said.

“Well, the first suggestion was David, but Matt told me what he said about leading the country.  So, I volunteered for it.”

“Well, I don’t want to lead the nation even a little bit.  I just want to live my life.”

“And I completely understand that.  That’s why I’m doing it.”  She chuckled.  “Ok, well, to recap, you guys can start packing your shit, houses are being rebuilt and remodeled.  I’ll let you know when you can leave for your homes.”

“Thank you, Director.  That’s fantastic news”, David said with a smile.

“No problem.  I’m happy to get the stars of the Resistance out of hiding finally.”

--------------

Each of the adults told their children.  The kids all jumped for joy, then ran to their rooms to start packing their stuff.  The adults decided to take the house one room at a time, starting with the living room.  They sorted the movies that they each brought with them and divided up the movies that they’d bought over the time they were in hiding. They were all happy to finally be able to pack their stuff to go to their perspective homes.

As they packed, there was a knock on the door.  David walked over to the door and answered it.  “Hello?” he said at to the young woman on the other side of the door.

“Hello, I’m looking Rex.  You guys call him Morbus now.”

David called over his shoulder.  “Has anyone seen Morbus?”

“He’s out back in this tool shed packing his shit out there.  You know how he is about his guns, David”, John said.

“Thanks John.”  David turned back to the door.  “Come on in, dear.  I’ll go get Morbus for you.”  He headed outside to the tool shed.  “Morbus”, he called.

“Yeah, David?” he said, poking his head out the door of the shed.

“There’s a young woman inside looking for you.”

“For ME?  Are you sure?”

“They called you Rex when you were our chief gopher, right?”

“Right.”

“Then, yes, I’m sure.  She said she’s looking for Rex then added that we call you Morbus.”

Morbus put the rifle in his hand in its case.  “Alright.  Let’s go see who this mystery girl is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment