Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 187

"This war just got a hell of a lot hotter", David said the morning after they arrived at the safe house.  He and the guys all sat and watched the news.

"I'll say", John said.  "I don't think there's a place in the country that's safe anymore."

"Hell no, there's not", Mike said, "unless you live in the middle of fucking nowhere."

"Kinda like we keep ending up in middle of fucking nowhere in houses that are just big enough to hold all of us?"  Dan said.

"Yeah, kinda like that.  At least it's quiet out here and we don't have to listen to the bombs go off and the gunfire", Mike responded.

"Have you guys had to explain to your kids what's going on yet?" David asked.

"Maya and Justin knew from the beginning of the war."

"Yeah, so did all of my kids" Mike agreed.

"I had to explain it all to Kylie and Jonathan the day we went to our old place in Austin", John said.  "But, Logan, he's known."

"Brie and I had to explain to Maddie, James, Jeremiah, Meagan, and Makayla what's going on yesterday.  Malachai, Jacob, and Jordan all know.  I have never seen colder looks on my oldest children's faces than I did after that.  Malachai had that look that said he's going to do something that I'm not going to be happy about when he gets older", David told his brothers.

"What do you think that might be, David?" Dan asked.

"Join the Resistance."

"You mean join that Army?" Mike asked.

"Yeah.  Of course, if that's his choice, I'll have no choice but to support him in that, but I'm obviously not going to be happy about it."

"Well, let's just hope that with the uprising that you caused will end the war soon so that you and Brie don't have to worry about that", John said.  "But, if it makes you feel any better, Logan's been having the same thoughts."

"So has Justin", Dan told David.

"That really doesn't make me feel any better. It just makes me fear for my godsons."

"Sorry, brother.  You know us, thought, we're gonna be honest with you", John said.

David sighed.  "I know, thanks guys."

Malachai came into the room right about then.  "Dad, can I talk to you a sec?"

"Yeah, sure, son.  You wanna leave the room?"

Malachai walked over to the couch where his dad sat.  "Naw, here's fine."

"Ok, what did you want to talk about?"

"I want to learn how to handle a gun."

David looked at his oldest child in shock.  "Do WHAT?"  He tone was obviously not pleased.

"I want to learn how to handle a gun."

"I heard you the first time.  Have you talked to your mother about this?"

"No, I wanted to talk to you first.  I thought that if anyone would understand why, it would be you.  You know Mom, she'll freak."

"Well, to be honest son, I do understand, but I'm not happy about it.  But, I know this means a lot to you, so, I'll talk to your Mom about it and get back to you.  How's that sound?"

"That's cool.  Thanks, Dad."  Malachai got up off the couch.  David watched the boy walk away.  The oldest of his children, Malachai had only reached David's waist when he and the boy's mother had gotten together.  Now, Malachai was almost tall enough to look David in the eyes and not have to look up.  Holy fuck, that boy's gotten tall.  His head hit me in the middle of the chest.  He's probably going to tower over me before he's eighteen, David thought.  Finally, he stood.  "Excuse me, brothers.  I need to talk to my wife real quick."  He left the room and went looking for his wife.

--------------

"HE WANTS WHAT?" Brie damn near screamed.

"That's right.  I'm not happy about it either.  I made it rather clear in my tone that I wasn't happy about it."

She sighed.  "Well, we should have seen this coming, I guess."

David shrugged.  "Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not happy about it."

"Oh, me neither.  Did he say WHO he wanted to teach him this?"

"No, but the only person I'd be comfortable with teaching him that would be Matt.  I'm not ok with taking him out into the woods and teaching him how to use a gun."

"I agree.  Seeing as this is probably unavoidable and he'll be pissed at us both FOREVER if we say no, then I'd rather see if Matt can fit it into his schedule."

"You want me to call Matt?"

"No, actually.  If Malachai wants to learn this, then he needs to ask his Uncle Matt himself.  I'm sure Matt's going to say no until he's sixteen or something like that, but just to be safe, Malachai needs to ask Matt himself."

David nodded.  "Ok, not a problem.  I'll go get Malachai and tell him what we decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment