Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 218


It took a few days to finalize everything, but the Director found the band and their families a new, and rather spacious, safe house.  The rest of the band had already arrived when David, Brie, the kids, and Fuzz got there.  As David walked into the house after his kids, he shouted out, “Hey Danny, Mikey, look what I dragged in.”

Dan and Mike turned toward the front door.  “What the FUCK?” Dan said.

‘”You have GOT to be fucking kidding me”, Mike said.  “Mother fuckin’ Fuzz, if my eyes aren’t going bad.”  He and Dan stood up.

“Hey guys!” Fuzz said, opening his arms for a hug.

Dan doubled up his fist and punched Fuzz in the face.  “What the hell are you doing here, mother fucker?”

Fuzz’s eyes crossed.  “I think you just broke my nose, Dan.”  He set his nose.  “Yep, you broke it alright.”  He blinked a few times.  “I’m here because your Director told me to be here.  I found David and brought him information on the Utopians.  He called the Director.  The Director told me to be here.”

Mike shook his head.  “What has this world come to that the Director is having HIM come HERE?” he asked David.

“I don’t pretend to know what Gail Richardson is thinking.  She has to have SOME reason why she wants him here.”

John sat on the couch, his face as neutral as he could keep it.  “Well, if that’s what the Director wants, then we have to accommodate.”  To be truthful, John didn’t like the idea of the man he replaced being in the same house.  It made him beyond uncomfortable.

David noticed it in his eyes.  “Hey, John, can I talk to you for a moment?”

“Yeah, no problem, David.  Can we take it in another room?”

“No problem.  Lead the way.”  They walked out of the room.  When they got next to John and Kristen’s room, David finally spoke.  “What’s wrong, brother?”

“I don’t want him here.  It makes me uneasy, like he’s here to try and get back into the band.”

David chuckled.  “Never gonna happen, John.  Fuzz and I butt heads too much.  He got booted on a majority vote.”

“Well, I hate to say it, but I think he’s gonna try and step on my toes with you guys.  He’s gonna TRY to get back in your good graces.”

“Again John THAT will never happen.  We haven’t seen him in thirteen years.  You’ve been with us through thick and thin.  Once the Director says he can leave, I’ll throw him out the door myself.”

John smiled crookedly.  “Thanks, David.  I just hope I’m wrong.”

--------------

That evening, after going to bed, Brie let David know HER feelings on Fuzz.  “I don’t like him, David.”

“Who, Fuzz?”

“No, the man on the fucking moon, David.  Yes, Fuzz.  He’s creepy.”

David laughed.  “You don’t say.”

She gave him a dirty look.  “Ok, keep making fun of me.  See who DOESN’T get laid tonight.”

He climbed into bed next to her.  “Baby, he makes all of us uncomfortable.  Just think of how Dan, Mike, and I feel with him here.  John even voiced to me that he thinks Fuzz is trying to get back in our good graces to rejoin the band.”

“You told him that wasn’t happening, right?”

“Yes, I did.  It should just be temporary, Fuzz being here.”

She sighed.  “I hope so, because if it’s not my Aunt and I are going to have a nice LONG conversation about it.”

“I’m sure you will.  Will it start with, ‘What the FUCK were you thinking, Aunt Gail?’”

“Yes, that’s exactly what it will start with.  I don’t like him being here.  I’ve got a very bad feeling about him.   Something tells me his motives aren’t pure.”

“First sign of trouble, he’s a dead man.  I promise you that.  One of us will end up shooting him.  But, unless he’s asleep, he’s not leaving my sight.”

“Not even to take a shit?”

“I will be standing outside the bathroom door if I have to.  He gets NO alone time.  And you know why?”

“No, why?”

“Because I have a gut feeling that he’s not on the straight forward either.”

--------------

The next day, the band fell back into their old routine.  David was usually the first one up for his workout with Brie, then was eating breakfast and drinking his coffee when the rest of the guys got up.  It came as no surprise to him that Fuzz was the last one to crawl his ass out of bed.  He usually was the last one up when he was with the band.  When he sat down at the table, he looked at the guys’ wives.  “Would one of you ladies be so kind as to fix me some breakfast as well?”  The guys all had plates of waffles and some form of protein.

Brie smirked.  “Sure, Fuzz, I’ll get you something to eat.”  She went to the cabinet and grabbed a bowel, then grabbed a box of cereal and then the milk from the fridge and set it in front of him.  “There you go.  Breakfast is served.”

He looked at David.  “Is she always this evil?”

David shook his head.  “No, but, since they’re finished cooking and you’re the last one up, you get cereal.  That’s the rule.  Get up sooner tomorrow and you’ll get a hot meal.”  He took a sip of his coffee.

“What time do they usually start cooking?”

“Sunrise”, Brie said coldly.

“And when are you finished?”

“Not long after the guys’ are all awake and about half assed functional.  You’d be wise to be up by 0730 though.”

“I’ll keep that in mind”, he said out loud.  Under his breath, he muttered, “Ice queen.”

“You haven’t seen cold yet, Fuzz.  Believe me.  I killed my own cousin in cold blood.  Don’t make the mistake of thinking I won’t do the same to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment