Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 185

"Hello?" Brie said when she answered David's phone.

"Brie, how are you, dear?"

"I'm doing well.  Is there something I can do for you, Director?"

"Is your husband around?"

"David's putting the younger kids down for a nap at the moment.  The younger kids meaning just the quads."

"How much longer do you think he'll be?"

Brie looked up at the clock on the wall.  Just as she opened her mouth to speak, David ducked through the curtain that separated the children's bunks from the lounge.  "Who is it?" he mouthed.

"My aunt", she mouthed back, then said, "He just came out of the bunk room.  Hold on."  She held the phone out to him.

He took it and put it to his ear.  "Hello?  This is David."

"David, this is Director Richardson.  I have bad news."

"What's the news, Director?"

"I've received Intelligence that the Utopians may have found your safe house in Oklahoma.  I know that you're all on the road at the moment, so I'm arranging for you to be moved to a new safe house before the tour ends."

"Well, thank you, Madame Director.  I'll let everyone know what's going on.  Thank you for the call."

"It's the least I can do, David.  You're taking care of my niece and great- nieces and nephews.  Just be careful while you're on the road, David.  Morbus is strong, fast and quick with a gun, but he's not indestructible."

"Director, the man survived an explosion.  As far as I'm concerned, until I see otherwise, yes he is.  But, why are you cautioning me to be careful?"

------------------

The buses finally came to a stop in Phoenix, the location of the next rally the band was supposed to perform in.  The Disturbed Family gathered in David and Brie's room so that David could break the news of the move to everyone else.  "They found us AGAIN?" Mike said.

"Apparently, Mikey", David said.

"Jesus, is there anything that they won't do to kill us?"

David laughed.  "Be glad they just want to kill you, Mikey.  They want to do far worse to me."

John looked at him in surprise.  "Really?  How did you find out?"

"The Director.  While I was on the phone with her, she told me to be careful.  That Morbus isn't indestructible.  I asked her why.  She told me that the Utopians have a huge target on my back, but that they don't just want me dead.  They want to torture me, then execute me publicly.  She has a source in the Utopian military that's leaking information to her." He looked over his shoulder at his wife.  "Brie, honey, does the name Master Sergeant Samuel Tuchman mean anything to you?"

"Yes, that's my mother's brother.  Why?"

"He's your father's sister's source."

Her eyes went wide.  "Really?"

"Yeah, that's what she says anyway."

Brie didn't know how to react to that news.  "I was told he was dead years ago.  I was told he died in Dessert Storm."

David sat down beside his wife.  "Are you ok?"

"Yeah.  I'm a little shocked, but it's nothing that I can't handle."

He kissed her temple.  "You wanna talk about it?"

"Yeah."

"Let me get the guys out of here and we'll talk."  He turned back to the guys.  "Anyway, she let me know that she has the move under control, so we don't have to worry.  She wouldn't tell me where the new safe house is located though."

"Bet it's in some remote little shit hole town that no one's ever heard of", Dan said.

Mike laughed.  "I'm almost willing to bet that they're sending us back to Colorado."

David shrugged.  "I don't, to be honest, guys.  I don't think we should speculate though."  He hugged Brie to his chest.  "Now, guys, if you'd be so kind as to give my wife and I a little privacy..."  The guys left, leaving him and Brie alone.  "Is everything ok, baby?'

She took in a shaking breath.  "My mother died never knowing that her brother was still alive."

"I thought your mother's brother's name was Seth."
"Her twin brother, yes.  But, she had a younger brother named Samuel.

"Let me guess, your mother's name is Sarah?"

"Yes."

"Your grandparents had a thing for Hebrew names that start with 'S'."  He laughed.

"Kinda like we do for names that start with 'J' or 'M'."

"Point taken.  Listen, I've been wanting to ask you about something."

She looked up at him.  "What's that, baby?"

"I want us to try and look for another surrogate."

"You want to have another baby?"

"Yeah.  I don't know why, but I want one or two more."

She smiled at him.  "You do realize that the quads are almost three, right?"

"Yeah.  And Malachai's twelve.  What do that have to do with this?"

"Nothings, honey.  If that's what you want, we can look into it.  We'll have to see if I can have anymore eggs harvested or if there are any left from when we were preparing for the surrogacy with the quads."

"I was actually hoping that there are still some left that Dr. Chase had frozen.  I don't know if you’re going through menopause is affecting your production of eggs or not."

She kissed his cheek.  "I'm sure that there are a few left.  I wonder if the doctor can control how many the poor surrogate gets pregnant with?"

He laughed.  "We'll have to ask, I guess."

"Are you looking forward to the sleepless nights again?"

"You know what?  I am.  I was happy to be able to be so hands on with all of the kids from Jacob and Jordan to the quads.  Kind of upsets me that I didn't know you when before you had Malachai, but that boy is mini me."

"If you'd let him be.  You still won't let him shave his head bald.  How can he be just like his dad, whom he idolizes, if his dad won't let him shave his head?"

"Not until he's 16, I mean that.  He needs to keep his hair on his head."

"If you say so."

He kissed her hair.  "Let's lay down and try to get some sleep.  I'm beat and I have a show tomorrow afternoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment