Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 213


After they ate, David and Brie laid the trays that held their empty plates on the floor, and lay in bed for a little while longer.  They didn’t do this often, but it was something they both enjoyed.  David sighed.  “This is the life”, he said.

“What makes you say that, baby?” Brie asked him.

“I’ve got the woman I love beside me, my kids brought me breakfast in bed, and I don’t’ have to do shit today.  What better birthday can a guy ask for?”

She looked up into his face from where she laid with her head on his chest.  “I’m glad you’re enjoying it, sweetie.  And, just so you know, I had NO idea that the kids were going to do that they did.”

He smiled.  “Oh, I’m sure you didn’t.  You seemed just as surprised as I was.”

She pressed her lips t his chest.  “I just wish I could have gone out and bought you something.”

He tilted her chin up to his face.  “You don’t have to buy me anything.  There’s nothing more I could want.  I have you, I have our children.  What else could there possibly be out there for me?”

She smiled.  “Oh, I don’t know, a new car… a big mansion… a new watch… fuck if I know.”

He laughed.  “None of that really appeals to me without you to share it with.”  He sighed.  “You know what I’d love to do today?”

“Other than make love to me again?” she asked  sarcastically.

He laughed.  “Oh, that WILL happen again today.  You can bet your sweet ass on that.”

“But, I thought it should happen the OTHER way around.”

“You mean YOU make love to ME?”

“Something like that”, she giggled.  “But, anyway, what were you saying you wanted to do today?”

“I want to take the kids outside and let them play in the snow.  We all just bundle up real nice and toasty warm and the kids can have a monster snowball fight or build a snowman or something.  THAT would make my day.”

She sat up and kissed him.  “Then why don’t we get the fuck up and get dressed so that we can make your birthday wish come true?”

--------------

David and Brie got up and got dressed, then went into the living room where the kids were watching cartoons.  “Get your coats on, kids, we’re going outside”, David said as he and Brie approached the living room hand in hand.

“Are you serious, Dad?” Jordan asked.

“Does this face LOOK like I’m kidding, Jordan Hannah?  All of you, get your coats on NOW.  We’re going outside so you can all play in the snow.”

“Is THAT what that white stuff on the ground is called?” James asked.

“Yes, James.  It’s called snow.  You can roll it into balls and throw it at people, especially big brothers that pick on you all day long.  I outta know, Uncle Ben used to do it to me all that time.”

“Did you always pick on Ben, baby?” Brie asked him.

“Yep, just ask him sometime.  He’ll say I picked on him all the time.  It’s hardly true, but that’s what he’ll say.”

“How is it hardly true, David?”

“I was always away at boarding school.  How can you pick on someone when you never see him?”

“Ah, parochial school.  Were you a heathen as a child, my love?”

“To hear my parents and teachers tell it, yes.  I spent more time suspended and in my dorm than in class, that much I remember.”

“Too many fights?”

He nodded.  “Yep.  I was fighting all the time.  It was fun and I had nothing better to do.  Anyway, stupid people should know not to open their mouths about shit they know nothing about.”

“I couldn’t have said that better myself, love.  I really couldn’t have.”

--------------

The Draiman family went outside and played in the freshly fallen snow.  It was Colorado in the middle of 
March.  It was still cold enough there for snow to fall and stick for a day or so.  The sky was grey, the threat of more snow fall obvious.  Brie showed the girls how to make snow angels.  David couldn’t help but laugh.  Then, he felt something hit him in the back.  He turned to see Malachai and Jacob both holding snowballs.  “ 
Come on, Dad.  Let’s have a snowball fight”, Malachai said.

“Not right now, son.  Why don’t you both go play with your younger siblings and teach them how to build a snowman?”

Jacob wound up and pegged his father in the chest with a snowball.  “Be a man and have a snowball fight with us, Dad.  Or are you getting to old to get down and roll a snowball?”

David laughed.  “Old, you say?  I’m getting old, Jacob Micah?  Boy, I can run circles around you.”

“Then have a snowball fight with us”, Malachai said.  “Unless you’re too chicken.”

David bent down and rolled a snowball, packing it good and tight.  “You better run, boy, and run fast.  No one calls me chicken.”  The boys took off and David threw the ball of snow in his gloved hand, hitting Malachai in the back.  He quickly bent down and rolled another one, throwing it at Jacob and catching him in the back of the head.

“Everyone, throw snowballs at Dad!” Jacob yelled.  Only the boys paid any attention.  David laughed, throwing snowballs as quickly as he could roll them at his sons as his wife and daughters watched and laughed. 

Jeremiah ran up and crushed a ball of snow against the leg of his father’s jeans.  “That’s cheating, ‘Miah!  You should be on my side anyway.  I’m your daddy and your brothers are being bad influences on you.  Throwing snowballs at Daddy on his birthday is a bad idea.”

Jeremiah shrugged. “So?  I thought all was fair in love and war.”

“Who told you THAT lie?”

“Uncle Danny.”

“Remind me to strangle him next time I see him”, David said with a laugh.

“Mom, can we join the snowball fight and help Dad against the boys?” Jordan asked.

“I don’t’ care.  I bet your dad would love the help.  He’s getting ganged up on out there”, Brie laughed.

“Come on, Maddie, Meagan, Makayla.  Let’s help Dad take down the boys”, Jordan said as she stood up and ran out to help her dad.  The other three girls joined her, and they started pelting the boys with snowballs.

Brie sat back and laughed as she watched her husband and children throw snowballs.  Jacob came running up to her.  “Mom, come on, you’ve gotta help us.  We’re getting our butts kicked out there.”

“As well you should be, Jacob Micah. You should know better than to pick a fight with your Dad.  Your sisters are always going to take his side.  They’re Daddy’s little girls.”

“But, we boys are your little boys.  You should help us, Mom.  It’s not fair if Dad has the girls and we don’t have an adult, too.  Please?”

David called after Jacob.  “Come on, boy.  You started this.”

Brie looked over Jacob’s head at David.  “Should I, baby?”

He shrugged.  “It would even things up a bit.”

“You hit me with a snowball and you lose your birthday present, Mister”, she said as she stood up and joined the fun.

--------------

Hours later, they all went inside laughing.  Their faces were red from the cold, but none of the seemed to mind.  “Who wants hot chocolate?” Brie called after everyone was inside and taking off their coats.  The kids all shouted, “Ooh, we do!”

She looked at David.  “You want me to make you a pot of coffee, baby?”

He nodded as he warmed up his hands.   “If you don’t mind, love.”

She smiled at him and went for the kitchen.  “Jordan, come give me a hand.”  Jordan hung her coat on a hanger and followed her mother into the kitchen.

“Did you have fun today, Dad?” Jacob asked.

“I had a blast, Jacob.  I’m glad I let you and your older brother drag me into a snowball fight.  I haven’t had that much fun in years.”

Jacob smiled.  “Glad I could give you a good birthday, Dad.  You deserve it.”  He wrapped his arms around David’s neck after David had sat down on the couch.

“Thank you, Jacob.  This was the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

Brie and Jordan came back into the living room with mugs.  “Hot chocolate for the kids”, Brie said as she set mugs on the table.  “A cup of coffee for you, baby, and a cup of hot tea for me.”

David leaned in and sniffed what she had in her cup.  “Herbal tea?”

“Yeah, it’s oolong tea with a touch of honey.”

“May I have a sip?” he asked.  She held the cup out to him.  He set his coffee on the table and took a sip of her tea.  “That tastes good.  I might have to try that later.”

“I’ve got some in a teapot on the stove if you want some after you finish your coffee.”

“Can we watch a movie?” Makayla asked.

“What do you want to watch, Kay?” David asked his youngest daughter.

“’Finding Nemo’.” 

“Is that ok with everyone?”  All of the kids said yes.  “Malachai, put it in.”  Malachai did what he was asked and started the movie.  About the time that Nemo went missing, David was ready for bed.  “You kids can camp out in here for the night.  I’m about to head to bed.  You thoroughly wore me out today.”  He stood and stretched out.  “Care to join me, baby?” he asked his wife.

She smiled and uncurled herself from the couch.  “Sounds good.  I’m beat”, she yawned.  They kissed their 
children good night, then headed to bed with cries of “Happy Birthday, Daddy” behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment