Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chapter 183

David and Brie laid in bed after the meeting.  Brie was laying the way she always did, with her head on David's chest.  David had his arm wrapped around his wife.  "You, my love, are a brilliant man", Brie told David.

"What makes you say that?"

She looked up to look him in the eyes.  "You mean aside from the fact that it's true?"

He laughed.  "If you say it's true, then I guess it is, but yeah, aside from that."

"You called this war a Modern Holocaust, not many people have the balls to do that, my love."

He smiled.  "You would have done it."

"Is that why you did it, because I would have if I had been speaking?"

"Yeah, pretty much.  I always loved watching you speak at the rallies you organized in your former life.  You just told it like it was.  I have to admit, though, when I was first handed the assignment, I wasn't happy.  Then I saw you in action.  I started falling in love from that moment.  I shadowed your every move.  I knew your schedule as well as I could have been expected to, until the day I came to your office at your clinic."

She smiles, placing a kiss on his chest.  "I remember that day.  You were so cryptic.  I thought you were annoying."

"And I thought you were stubborn."

"I still am."

"Do I still annoy you?"

"Every now and then, but I still love you because and in spite of that fact."

"I think your stubbornness is one of your most attractive qualities.  You keep me going because you won't let me get depressed.  You're my personal angel."

She stretched up and gave him a kiss.  "And you're mine.  You won't believe the number of times you're rescued me."

"Oh, I can think of a few.  After the miscarriage, for one."

"Yeah, that was hellish.  The pain... that's a level of pain no one should have to do through, and yet, through all of it, you stayed with me.  You didn't leave my side except to call for medical assistance when if first started.  After Dr. Chase showed up, you didn't leave my side until she allowed me to get out of bed."

"I was doing my job as your husband, Brie."

"No, David, you were saving me.  You held me all through those first few nights when  I would wake screaming in pain.  God knows I needed the comfort.  I felt like such a failure as a wife and mother."

"You weren't then and you're not now.  Anyway, you had just had to move one state over and gotten shot.  What were you supposed to do, remain calm?"

She smiled at him.  "Have I ever thanked you for all that?"

"Yes, you have."

"Well, I want to do it again."  She leaned in and claimed his lips in a slow, lingering kiss.

He pulled away.  "What are you doing?"

"Thanking you."  She pressed her lips to his again.

As they kissed, she felt his desire for her and he felt hers for him.  He rolled over, placing her on her back.  She spread her legs so that he could rest between them.  When her legs wrapped around his waist, he knew exactly what she wanted him to do.  He slid a hand down her body, making sure that her entrance was ready for him, then he moved his hips just right so that he could take her.

----------------

The night passed too quickly for man and wife alike.  The wished that the night would have lasted a little longer, or that the day light would have waited just an hour more to come so that they could be together the way a man and woman were supposed to be.  They made love until the wee hours of the morning, and neither of them could imagine being more in love with the other.  The only thing that could have made him love her even more was another child, but neither of them thought it was a good idea for them to try, especially since she was going through menopause.  Maybe there were a few of her eggs left from the original harvest that the quads came out of.  If there were any left, they would have been frozen.  Although he was loathe to think it, he did want more kids.  Eight should have been enough, but for some reason, it wasn't.  he loved each of his children more than his own life. Maybe two more, a total of 10.  That wouldn't be so bad, he thought as he laid in bed and watched her sleep.  God, she is so beautiful when she sleeps.  My very own angel, sent by God to keep me sane.  I love her more than she'll ever realize.  Neither of them realized just how true that statement was.

No comments:

Post a Comment